Satisfy your chocolate cravings with this delicious recipe for Vegan Devil's Food Cake! This cake is perfect for chocolate lovers with its rich and intense chocolate flavour that’s delivered from using extra-dark cocoa powder and a strong cup of coffee. This recipe is also vegan, making it suitable for anyone who follows a plant-based lifestyle. The combination of sorghum, buckwheat, and sweet white rice flour along with potato starch and xanthan gum creates a soft and tender crumb that’s just perfect for a cake. This cake is topped with a vegan chocolate sauce and filled with chocolate cream, making it the ultimate dessert for any special occasion. Get ready to impress your guests with this easy-to-follow recipe that will leave everyone coming back for seconds!
Yield; One 9 x 13 Inch (22.9cm x 33cm) Cake or 12 Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups (156g) sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup (68g) extra-dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (65g) potato starch
- 1/4 cup (32g) buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup (38g) sweet white rice flour
- 2 teaspoons (10g) xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons (10g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) tahini
- 1 cup (240ml) extra-strong coffee, cold
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease and lightly flour a 9 × 13-inch (22.9cm × 33cm) cake pan or line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine sorghum flour, cocoa powder, potato starch, buckwheat flour, sweet white rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk well to make sure everything is completely combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, sugar, and tahini. Add one-third of the flour mix and stir until well combined. Mix in the coffee and coconut milk and the remaining flour mixture a little at a time until all has been incorporated. Stir in the vinegar until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Spread the cake batter into a prepared cake pan, or drop about 1/2 cup (120ml) of batter into each cupcake liner. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes for sheet cake or cupcakes, or until a knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting. Store covered for up to 3 days.
- Cover it in vegan chocolate sauce and fill with chocolate cream, and enjoy.